The humble cauliflower is making a comeback in the health world – on high-end menus and homemade recipes alike. It is packed with many of the same nutrients found in super foods, with a serving providing a great source of Vitamin C and a source of Folate.
With the chilly winter weather upon us, now is the perfect time to warm up with a classic cauliflower cheese, or for a tasty yet nutritious after-school snack, how about cauliflower popcorn?
Check out these simple recipes from 5+ A Day to get your cauliflower fix!
1. Cook cauliflower whole in water in a large pot until tender
2. Make the cheese sauce while the cauliflower is cooking. Melt butter in a saucepan and then stir in flour mixing constantly to avoid lumps, then add milk gradually while still stirring
3. Once mixture has thickened add ¾ cup cheese, mustard powder and lemon zest, take of the heat and mix well
4. Drain cauliflower and place it in the ovenproof dish you will be serving it in
5. Pour over the cheese sauce, sprinkle the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs over the top and grill until golden
6. Serve with fresh parsley for a pop of colour
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C, line an oven tray with baking paper
2. Rinse and break up cauliflower into small round florets
3. Grate parmesan and finely chop rosemary
4. Combine cauliflower, parmesan and rosemary in a bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil, mix until well covered
5. Spread cauliflower onto oven tray, top with a little extra cheese
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown