1. Breakfast – the most important meal of the day
To maintain energy and focus throughout the morning, it’s important to start your day with a nutritious breakfast. Try 5+ A Day’s breakfast ideas:
- Grate an apple or pear into porridge, mix mashed banana or other fruit puree through cooked porridge.
- Freeze bananas and blend with low fat milk, yogurt or fruit juice to make a smoothie. Peaches, berries, apples, pears and kiwifruit also work well
- Add chopped vegetables like peppers, onion, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms or tomatoes to omelettes or scrambled eggs
2. 5+ A Day – Every Day
Take every opportunity to include fresh fruit and vegetables in your day to maximise health benefits.
- Bring a healthy lunch from home. You’re more likely to have a fresh meal and more a nutrient-dense lunch when you bring your lunch from home.
- See if your coworkers would be interested in holding a healthy shared lunch once a month.
- Have a healthy lunch you can look forward to! Find ways to incorporate fruit and vegetables into the meals you love. Check out these ideas from 5+ A Day.
3. Mental Wellbeing
A supportive environment contributes to improved morale and productivity. Consider ways that may improve your work area.
- Improve your physical environment with plants and a clean, tidy desk.
- Stay social with colleagues. Take part in social interactions, especially when it breaks up the day.
- Eat in a communal area rather than at your desk. Taking some time out of your day to have breaks and putting some space between you and your workload has a restorative effect on the brain.
4. Get Moving!
Physical activity provides physical and mental health benefits, including improved energy, posture and decreased stress levels. Increasing physical activity also reduces the risk of some cancers, depression, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and obesity. If your role is sedentary, try some of the following ideas to get moving:
- Take short breaks throughout the day outdoors; whether it is a quick 5 minute walk, or just a chance to get some fresh air.
- Use the stairs instead of lifts.
- Use a Swiss Ball instead of a chair, or see if you can use a standing desk.
5. Stay Hydrated
Water is essential to good health. Drinking enough water can help energise us, prevent headaches, maintain a healthy weight, keep our digestive system regular and provides many more benefits!
- Eat your water – fruit and vegetables contain up to 95% water plus the added vitamin and mineral benefits fresh produce offer.
- Take regular water breaks.
- Don’t stick to just coffee and tea; herbal teas are a great way to up your water intake while getting some great antioxidants!
Take the time in your work day to focus on yourself and your wellbeing.
The benefits are endless, not only for yourself and your colleagues but your employer too.
To find out more ways you can improve your workplace wellness,
visit 5+ A Day’s Workplace Wellness Hub.
For tips, fresh inspiration and delicious recipes to help increase your fruit and vegetable intake, visit 5+ A Day.