Winter also means we have a bounty of versatile favourites such as the humble carrot and parsnip, which aren’t only delicious but are a source of vitamins and add an extra burst of sweetness to any savoury dish.
Warm yourself in this chilly weather with this healthy and delicious Winter Vegetable Soup with Carrots and Parsnips from 5+ A Day Charitable Trust to warm your bones.
Winter Vegetable Soup with Carrots & Parsnips
Serves: 6 to 8 | Preparation: 15 minutes | Cooking: 6 to 8 hours (in slow cooker or crock pot)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 parsnips, sliced
- 1 handful of brocolini, halved
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 1 cup of finely diced pumpkin
- 1 cup finely diced kumara
- 1 fresh chili, sliced (remove seeds)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 litres of good quality vegetable stock
1. Place all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
2. Serve with fresh crusty bread.
Recipes courtesy of 5+ A Day. Search @5adaynz on social media and like them for fresh inspiration & recipes.