Red Delicious and durable, they inject sweetness and texture to baking, desserts and salad. Apples are a source of dietary fibre which aids healthy digestion and vitamin C to help fight fatigue and unlock mental vitality.
Red Delicious, Pacific Rose, Granny Smith and over 7,500 other varieties are available worldwide, so we really are spoilt for choice.
As the evenings get cooler, why not try this creative yet decadent recipe for Apple Rose Tarts from 5+ A Day Charitable Trust for a creative alternative to the traditional apple pie!
1. Preheat oven to 170°C
2. Add apple slices to boiling water and squeeze over half a lemon
3. Mix apricot jam with 2 tablespoons of hot water
4. Dust bench with flour and roll pastry and cut into 30 to 35cm strips
5. Glaze pastry strip with jam mix, sprinkle with cinnamon, overlap apples on the pastry strips and roll into rose and place in non-stick muffin tray
6. Repeat until you have used all pastry
7. Bake for 25 minutes (check halfway through)
8. Serve with greek yoghurt or ice cream