Now that summer is looming, you need a healthy energy booster that ticks all the boxes. So, what do you do? Find recipes that combine the nutritious with the delicious is what! Plus if they’re easy to make, they’re great to share at all those get-togethers that have suddenly popped up on your calendar. Snacks that incorporate superfoods are ideal and we have a gem from nutritionist Chloe Moir using virgin coconut oil, chia seeds and spirulina powder.
Coconut oil has a smooth flavor ideal for food preparation, but its potential health benefits don’t stop there. Over 50% of the fatty acids in coconut oil come from lauric acid, which is also found in breast milk and has potent antimicrobial properties; its super powers support immunity to help fight infection — while supporting stable blood sugar levels, a healthy metabolism and weight management.
Chia Seeds are nature’s superfood! This gluten free nutritional power-house for endurance and strength supports antioxidant protection, heart health, blood sugar regulation, bowel regularity and digestive health.
Spirulina is bursting with amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant compounds, giving our immune system a thorough ‘leg-up’ through daily consumption. It’s no wonder spirulina is known as ‘Natures Multi’.
So why not combine all these super foods into a delicious snack? Emerging Wellness blogger Chloe Moir of Chloe Moir Nutrition has done just that from the BioBalance kitchen! See below for the recipe for her delicious Spirulina Energy Bars.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C and roast the cashew nuts and almonds for 10 minutes. This is optional and you can leave them raw if you prefer.
2. Soak the dates in boiling water for 5 minutes to soften. Pour into a sieve and drain out as much water as possible. This makes the dates easily blend into a smooth paste.
3. Place the cashew nuts, almonds, chia seeds, sea salt, and spirulina into a blender or food processor and blend into fine crumbs.
4. Add the almond butter, dates, vanilla extract and coconut oil and pulse until the mixture comes together.
5. Tip the mixture into a lined tray and press down firmly with a spoon. Leave it to set in the freezer for 30-40 minutes until it is firm enough to slice.
6. Cut into 10-12 even bars and store in the fridge.