Not only does it ensure you have a variation of diet throughout the year (and the diverse health benefits that come with it), but it also ensures you are eating fresh produce that is full of nutrients and flavour that hasn’t deteriorated through travel.
Carrots and parsnips are now in season and are the perfect winter vegetables to warm you up during the colder months. These root vegetables are a good source of vitamins and minerals, and after roasting have a deliciously sweet flavour that is sure to brighten up even the dullest day.
Carrots are well known for their Vitamin A content, which can help maintain healthy vision, and also provide a source of Vitamin C, Niacin and potassium. Parsnips are also a source of potassium and niacin and contain dietary fibre.
Now is the time to visit your local market for these nutritious veggies. Dig into a healthy side dish with this simple recipe from 5+ A Day.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Arrange all vegetables in one layer in a large roasting tray
3. Mix all dressing ingredients together in a jug and pour over vegetables
4. Mix vegetables in dressing by hand to ensure they are coated evenly
5. Cook for about 40 minutes, turning a couple of times
6. Serve at room temperature on the baby spinach and sprinkle with feta and your favourite nuts or seeds (we used chia)
This dish works well hot, at room temperature or cold.